Small garden decking ideas come in handy when you're trying to make the most of a tiny unused space. The usual options would be to transform this awkward little area into a patio or a courtyard, but decking can be used successfully to enhance smaller gardens too. You just need a bit of know-how and ingenuity to make the materials work and the space sing.
Read on for decking ideas for small gardens and tricks and tips for choosing the best decking material, color, finish and layout to make your space feel bigger and better.
- Check out our normal-sized decking ideas edit if you're considering building out more of your backyard like this.
1. Combine decking with a mini patio area
To add design interest and visually enhance your small outdoor space, combining decking with a paved area. This will create an illusion of a larger, zoned space.
This decked area created by Anna-Carin McNamara benefits from a neutral patio area and a huge mirror, which makes the garden look twice the size.
- Check out our patio ideas edit for the full lowdown.
2. Try small garden decking ideas that use vertical space
Just because your deck is small, that doesn't mean you can't make the most of floral displays on it. The trick is to use the walls. This small decking idea by @j_habite, uses decking up the wall to provide hanging space for containers. The wrap-around approach makes for visual continuity, which makes the area feel bigger and more cohesive too. Clever.
- See just how to make a small garden look bigger and better with our feature.
3. Work built-in seating to small garden decking
Small outdoor spaces call for clever seating and storage solutions, so take note of any area that could be used for custom-built seating.
We like the way that the decking material is used to create a streamlined, wrap-around seating area in this decked garden by Norsu Home as it helps draw the eye around, enhancing the space.
- Into it? Our garden ideas feature is definitely worth taking a look at.
4. Stain a small deck in a light color for simplicity
We all know that light colors indoors make a room feel larger, and the same works outdoors with a deck, so choosing a light-colored decking paint or decking stain makes good sense.
In this small decked area, the light wood of the deck stands out against the dark facade; the monochrome design scheme is completed with the Square Table And Chair Garden Set in Clay from Lime Lace.
- The best decking stains.
5. Make it a sociable small garden decking setup with a cooking station
Talking of space and garden dining... just because your deck is small, that doesn't mean you can't incorporate an outdoor kitchen in yours, just like you'd squeeze in a perfectly functional kitchen indoors. We love a DIY look which is ideal to customize to whatever size your area allows for, plus, it's one of the most budget-friendly small garden decking ideas going.
- Check out our budget garden ideas for more thrifty inspiration.
6. Create wall to wall decking to exaggerate a small garden's width
In small gardens you have to use all the design tricks up your sleeve. One is to exaggerate the garden's width with decking. You can do this by laying the boards widthways – their lines will draw the eye across the deck's width, making it seem wider – and by laying them right up to the boundary on both sides. You can soften the finished look by creating a green vista in the near distance – this will prevent your small garden from looking boxed in.
This enclosed garden in London has been designed by Honor Holmes Garden Design and benefits from a green space at the bottom of the garden that contrasts with the decking.
- For a complete guide to garden design be sure to read our feature.
7. Save space with compact, multi-tasking garden furniture
If you do want some of the best garden furniture out on your small garden deck, pick a set that has a small footprint. Dual-purpose pieces or built-in storage is a bonus, too.
The St Mawes Drinks/Planter Bar Table from Garden Trading has a steel trough in the middle - perfect for cooling drinks, or creating a green display.
8. Combine small garden decking ideas with built-in planters
Small garden decking ideas and container gardening were made for each other, and you can fit in a plant or two in even the tiniest of decked gardens, balconies or terraces as this lovely decked area shows. Building a raised bed like this is a great idea for small decked areas – the streamlined nature of the container will make the area feel larger, and can be made to raise the height of the plants significantly, upping their impact.
- See our balcony ideas piece for small space inspo that's elevated.
9. Include a change in decking levels for compact gardens
If your small garden is on a slope, you've actually been handed a golden opportunity. Rather than trying to level it or dividing it into lots of different zones, creating decking on different levels will make it more usable and enhance the feeling of space.
- Browse more sloping garden ideas to get the best from your deck design.
10. Turn your small deck into an outdoor room
A tiny deck is usually the perfect size for creating an Insta-worthy outdoor room, with all the frills. It can be covered, or not, with rocking chairs, or not! As mentioned, we like all the frills so we wholeheartedly recommend going to town with seating, soft furnishings and outdoor decor to help enhance your small deck further.
- Find more inspiration on designing and creating outdoor living space in our guide.
11. Use contrasting colors to enhance a small deck
Small garden decking ideas needn't just be about structure. You can make a big difference cheaply using paint. Deploying contrasting decking paint colours is a clever, distracting move in a small outdoor space; think contrasting the wall and deck colours, or even experiment by 'zoning' the deck itself, painting one half a lighter colour than the other.
This small all-over decked area has been enhanced by color contrasts created with Cuprinol Garden Shades decking paint.
- These are the best decking paints around.
12. Use decking to zone different areas in a small space
It may feel counterintuitive to use multiple materials in a small space, but using garden decking to delineate different zones in a small garden will actually make it look bigger. The trick is to use different materials in a similar shade. This decking idea for a small rooftop garden has had a makeover with a separate decking area for sun lounging that wraps around the patio, which is used for dining and outdoor cooking. The design is by My Landscapes.
- Check out our rooftop garden design ideas for more lavish looks.
13. Transform a small deck into an outdoor spa
Decking is often used in areas that get wet a lot, especially around swimming pools and plunge pools, but if your garden is very small, you can still use it this way. Depending on what's most feasible for your specific outdoor area, it could be a small plunge pool, or an integrated hot tub. You'll need to speak to a garden designer and/or architect first.
- Find more garden landscaping ideas in our advice piece.
14. Small garden decking needs vertical planting
If you do opt for an all-decked garden in a small outdoor area, add interest with vertical planting and integrated lighting to create more contrast and texture. This small rooftop garden has a relaxed and glowing look thanks to the clever use of plants and lights.
- Find out how to create a living wall in our guide.
15. Surround small garden decking with a painted fence
It makes sense to keep your decking natural – it's much easier to maintain if it's not painted, but oiled or stained instead. However, your garden still needs color – and you can add that by painting your fence to create a garden color scheme. Then just accessorize.
Want a small garden decking idea that won't cost much, but will have plenty of instant impact? Colorful cushions can go a surprisingly long way to making your small deck more inviting. Mix and match bold colours with graphic patterns for maximum effect – small decks really can take a lot of color.
16. Layer the greenery
Decorating a small elevated decking area with greenery all around makes for a truly inviting set up. Complement any surrounding grass or trees with more plants on a table and keep cool containers close by for a loosely crowded plant party.
17. And, work in a totally tropical corner
If you've only got room for one sun lounger, you may as well make it feel like you're actually sat in the jungle. How? Plant all the greenery around this mini decked area and keep your sun lounger loaded with plush extras too. Lush? Check. Dappled sun? Check. Piña Colada? Coming!
- For more of the best sun loungers, don't miss our guide.
18. Make lighting the biggest feature
Lighting is so important in your outdoor space, especially when it's a small one, and it's amazing what you can do by layering different forms and having them displayed in a variety of ways. Try lanterns teamed with candles for heaps of ambiance by day, and by night, to make your small decking space shine in all seasons.
- Find more garden lighting ideas in our edit.
19. Add a dramatic living wall
A small deck needn't lack drama. DIY your own living wall and make it a big one even for your small space.
20. Make it convivial with an outdoor fireplace
Logs burning on a cool night will make even the tiniest decking areas super cozy. Warm it up with one of the more classic outdoor fireplace ideas for big appeal,
Say hey to long days on your tiny deck.