1. Embrace the animal trend with this new Leopard print polyester satin sequinned bedding, from Ashley Wilde. Features sequin panels on soft gold satin
2. This smart upholstered bed is a sound investment. Made from natural linen the Antoinette bed is £995; Rosa king-size cotton quilt, £199, all Graham & Green
3. Palladian Plum, £24.29 for 2.5 litres, available as part of Dulux Paint Mixing in matt medium base, Dulux
4. For a muted way of using pinks and purples, try Fragrant Cloud 3 and Lime Zest 6, £24.29 for 2.5 litres, Dulux
5. Mix with dark wood for the ultimate sophisticated scheme. Garrat dark chestnut four-poster bed frame, £1,750; Ardingly chair in villandry amethyst, £900; upholstered bench, £450; Arielle side table, £275; Hoxton rug, £130; ironwork scroll amethyst wallpaper, £30 per roll; Peony blossom embroidery amethyst bedlinen, from £25; peony blossom cushion, £45; Peony blossom amethyst curtains, from £25 per m; Vienna lamp, £75, all Laura Ashley
6. Without the splashes of red this grey would look drab and uninspiring. The California Company’s popular shutters start from £169 per m2.
7. An easy approach is to use grey as the overall colour, then add accents of red throughout to create warmth. The Alderney Armchair in Ash soft wool has a sprung seat and oak legs, £605; Claret velvet cushion, £40; Club footstool in Granite wool, £265, all Sofa.com
8. Simply painting walls white and adding black and white furniture instantly builds a monochrome look. Add simple stripes and checks for a smart lift. These ‘Simply Monochrome’ curtains from £165, made to measure and fitted, by Hillary’s
9. The easy route to putting any monochrome scheme together is to head for the House of Fraser’s Timney range. Celebrated designer Sue Timney, has been dressing the chicest houses in monochrome since the Eighties and nobody does it better. Timney Ceiling Rose double cotton duvet cover, £75; pillowcase pairs, £35; Urn, Clock and Ceiling Rose feather filled cotton cushions, £40 each; porcelain teapot, £25; porcelain mug, £8; porcelain cake plates, £25 for a set of four, all House of Fraser
10. Black bedding turns from sexy to chic with a touch of gold. Star by Julien Macdonald bed linen, £83; cushions, from £28; throw, £95; lamp, £70; diffuser, £20; trinket box, £20; votive, £5, all Debenhams
11. Karma Zen wallpaper features a floral trail in black flock on a fine metallic gold lustre effect, £98 per roll; combine with the Samba Plain Black Zen, which has a wood-grain effect, and finish with Gold Buddha and Black & Gold Buddha 3D relief canvases, £25 each, all by Arthouse at Wallpaper Direct
12. Add interest to your floor with Camden large format ceramic 45x45cm floor tiles, £7.99 each or £39.47 per m2; Camden Ceramic 45x45cm Blue Floral (decor), £8.99 each or £44.41 per m2, all Topps Tiles
13. Whitewashed floorboards and white walls provide a neutral background for pretty fabrics. Curtains in Silverley blue J710F-06; headboard in Silverley navy J710F-05; bedcover in Hayden blue J689F-01; Valance in Adler grey J679F-07; cushions on bed (left to right) in Cornelia red/stone J705F-02, Willowbrook grey J711F-05 edged in Lisson red J686F-30 and Southwood Check aqua J697F-08; footstool in Norfolk Stripe dark blue J698F-01; chair in Honeycomb blue J699F-06; cushion on chair in Willowbrook grey J711F-05 edged in Lisson red J686F-30, all the Mayflower Collection from Jane Churchill.
14. Flooring is one of the largest and most influential areas of colour in a room. A lovely grey carpet, therefore, sets a scheme on a firm footing. Forest Hills carpet is made from 50% wool, 40% lanelle polypropylene and 10% polyester, £20 per m2, Cormar
15. Give your home the Midas touch with this pretty Chivasso papillio wallpaper, £95.50, from the new Chivasso Botanicals collection from JAB Anstoetz
16. Schreiber Whittlebury chair, £399; storage footstool in red velvet, £229, Homebase
17. Clambin three-seater sofa in Raspberry brushed linen cotton, £1,395, Sofa.com
18. A striking scheme can be achieved by painting walls a bold blue and adding accents of white. Stockwell corner sofa, from £899; Constable double bookcase, £399.99; Woburn display unit, £349.99, Homebase
19. Full-bodied moody blues teamed with darker greys, such as charcoal, can create intimate spaces. The Chester sofa is an update on the traditional Chesterfield sofa with fewer buttons and cleaner lines, £1,295, Loaf
20. This glossy red and grey kitchen takes its inspiration from the famous 1950s all-American diner. Staying true to the original retro kitchen style, it features Sweet Almond Cream Gloss cabinets with a honed red quartz work surface. Crème de la crème kitchen, from £20,000 including installation, John Lewis of Hungerford.