Need to know how to clean a rug? Sometimes vacuuming just isn’t enough to get a rug looking like new. The foot traffic of daily life, and maybe the fact that your pet loves to hang out on it can make your rug look far from its best, and even leave it a bit niffy.
Cleanfluencer and Instagram sensation Mrs Hinch has come to the rescue, though, with a tip that will get your rug looking and smelling fresh once again. Even better, it’s a rug remedy that requires just a few things we reckon you’ll have in the store cupboard already.
This tip actually came from one of the Hinch army in the first place, but the Insta star tested it herself before sharing, so you can be confident it’s met her high cleaning standards.
- Find out more on how to clean a carpet – with or without cleaning products
Clean a rug like Mrs Hinch
Mrs Hinch loves a rug – her home is full of them, right down to under the dining table. And we know that, with baby Ronnie, keeping them a clean is more of a challenge and a must!
1. Get yourself some fabric conditioner, washing gel (we recommend clear), a clean, lint-free light-coloured cloth (to avoid colour transfer), and a bucket. You'll need a capful of the fabric conditioner, then add the washing gel, mix, and add warm water. That’s your rug-cleaning solution.
2. Then all you need to do is put your cloth into the mixture, wring it out so it’s not going to make the rug over-wet, then wipe on to the rug.
3. Make sure you tackle just a small area at a time, and dip the cloth back into the mixture and wring again before working on the next section.
4. Leave to dry fully before you let feet, the kids and your pets near your fresh, clean rug.