If you're looking for quick tips on how to get makeup out of carpet, fear not: your foundation hasn't necessarily ruined that vintage Persian rug you treasure. After all, makeup is designed to be removable, so even long-wear foundation can be successfully removed from carpets, with a bit of patience.
- Find more tips on how to clean a carpet in our guide.
How to get foundation out a carpet
1. If the foundation stain is fresh and still wet, carefully remove the excess with a paper towel. Use blotting movements to gently absorb the liquid; do not rub.
2. Next, spray on a stain remover. You can also use a makeup remover, but if yours is expensive, you may not want to waste it. Our favourite is the Earth Friendly Stain Remover – we've tried on every type of carpet and rug there is, and it's safe and effective. You can also use an upholstery cleaner of your choice. Spray liberally, let sit for five minutes.
3. Gently remove the stain with a cloth. If a lot of foundation has been spilled, you may need to repeat this process twice.
- How to clean upholstery successfully.
How to get lipstick out of a carpet
Lipstick is a little bit tricker to get off carpets than foundation, because lipstick is fat- or oil-based. So, you need something that will break down the fat.
1. Carefully remove any solid bits of lipstick from the carpet with a paper towel. Be very careful not to rub or spread the stain, as that will drive it in deeper.
2. Spray the stain with a degreasing agent. WD-40 works, but we've also had good results with a foaming oven cleaner such as HG Grease Away. This is a strong product, so you'll need to dilute it with a bit of warm water a test it on an inconspicuous area of your carpet first, to make sure it won't cause discolouration.
3. Leave the degreasing agent on for five minutes, then gently remove with a cloth.
- Find more tips in our stain removal guide