Salt and pepper chips are one of our go-to options when preparing potatoes. Packed full of flavour they're a much healthier alternative to oven chips and take under half an hour to prepare. Plus, you'll only need a handful of ingredients to transform your average fries into something a little more exciting.
Never heard of salt and pepper chips? They're essentially oven homemade chips – which we've also written a recipe for – coated in a special blend of spices for extra flavour. Discover how to make them below, then head over to our food hub for more recipe ideas and inspiration.
Salt and pepper chips
- Potatoes suitable for preparing chips
- A good amount of vegetable oil
- Black peppercorns, one teaspoon
- Sichuan peppercorns, one teaspoon
- An onion, finely chopped
- A red pepper, finely chopped
- A green pepper, finely chopped
- Spring onion, four finely chopped
- Two cloves of garlic
- Chinese five spice powder, one teaspoon
- Salt for seasoning
- A sprinkle of chilli flakes
1. You'll need to begin by preparing you chips. Find instructions on how to do so in our guide to how to make chips.
2. While your chips are cooking, you can begin preparing the veg. Add a good measure of olive oil to a frying pan and heat for a few minutes before adding the onion and peppers, along with the garlic and chilli flakes – do not add the spring onion at this stage.
3. From there, you can begin on the spice mix. Combine ground peppercorns, salt and Chinese five spice in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Once you're happy with your chips, combine in the frying pan with the veg, before sprinkling over the spice mix. Add the spring onion and heat through for a few minutes before serving.