If you've never considered BBQ sweet potato, you're in for quite the treat this weekend. Not only are sweet potatoes both delicious, filling and nutritious due to their high vitamin content, they're also pretty affordable and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways – like being cooked on the barbecue for example. Check out our guide to how to cook sweet potato for more ideas.
But one of our favourite methods is to cook sweet potatoes on the BBQ until soft and seasoned with Flora, red onion, garlic, spices and chickpeas, and (as if all of that wasn't delicious enough) topped with feta.
- Special thanks to Flora for sharing this recipe with us
BBQ sweet potato: how to cook sweet potatoes on the barbecue
- Sweet potatoes (we'd recommend one per person)
- Flora, two tablespoons
- A red onion, sliced
- A garlic clove, grated
- Smoked paprika, one teaspoon per potato
- Chilli flakes, half a teaspoon
- Tin of chickpeas, drained
- Chives, finely sliced, plus extra to serve
- Feta cheese, cut into small cubes
- Green salad, to serve
1. Prick the potatoes and wrap in foil, put on the BBQ (or in a hot oven), close the lid and cook for 30–40 mins, until completely soft.
2. Meanwhile, heat the flora in a sauce pan over medium heat, gently fry the red onion slices and cook until softened, around 10 mins. Add the garlic and spices and cook for 2 mins further. Tip in the can of chickpeas, then remove from the heat.
3. Once the potatoes are cooked, open the foil parcel and carefully slice along the top of each potato. Use a spoon to scoop the soft potato centre into a large mixing bowl. Add the chickpea mix, the feta and the chives, season and mix. Spoon the filling back into the potatoes and re-seal the foil packaging. Place back onto the BBQ and cook for 10 mins further. Lift from foil packaging onto plates and serve alongside a green salad.
- If you need a BBQ to start with, check out our guide to the Best BBQs for 2020.