Breakfast hash is a great way to start a lazy day. From the French word 'hacher' meaning to chop, it can be a mish mash of anything tasty you have to hand – but potatoes fried with onions and served with egg of some sort tends to be the basic recipe. This chipotle breakfast hash includes chorizo, but you can leave it out to make it vegetarian as the eggs, feta and avocado give all the protein and flavour you need.
There is a little bit of prep involved with this recipe, but it really is very easy to make. Scale it up to serve to a table full of hungry guests – it is a great dish if you have had one to many the night before. Read on to see how to make this spicy hash, then check out our food hub for loads more easy, healthy meal ideas.
- Thanks to Bull's-Eye for sharing this tasty recipe, featuring their Bull’s-Eye Louisiana Chipotle Hot Sauce
How to make chipotle breakfast hash
Cook time: 25–30mins
- 400g new potatoes, roughly chopped
- 2tsp olive oil
- 190g chorizo, chopped
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped (reserving a handful to finish)
- 1–2 tbsp Chipotle hot sauce (such as Bull’s-Eye Louisiana Chipotle Hot Sauce)
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 eggs
- 1 avocado, roughly chopped
- 50g feta, crumbled
- 1 handful coriander, chopped
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water for five minutes. Drain, then fry for seven minutes in a pan with the olive oil.
2. Add the chorizo, then cook for another 10–12 minutes until the chorizo is crispy. If not using chorizo, skip this step and give the potatoes up to 10 more minutes until well browned, add a tsp of smoked paprika for added colour and flavour.
3. Add the red pepper, spring onions and cherry tomatoes, then cook for five minutes. Season and add the Chipotle hot sauce.
4. With a large spoon make four large dips in the mixture (a ladle works well). Crack the eggs in, cover with a lid and cook for a few minutes until the white is set but the yolk is still runny.
5. Remove from heat and top with the avocado, feta, coriander and remaining spring onions. Serve with more hot sauce and chunky break.