The best BBQ chicken recipe is a go-to for most serious summer barbecuers, and with good reason. You really can't beat the crispy texture and smoky taste of succulent chicken cooked fresh on the barbecue.
Our BBQ chicken recipe can be cooked with, or without, the tasty barbecued veggies we've included below. Either way, you'll achieve chicken that's super crispy on the outside and much softer on the inside. And just in time for this weekend's good weather.
- Special thanks to Weber's expert chefs for sharing this super tasty recipe with us – view more inspirational recipes or book a course at the Grill Academy
- 1 whole chicken, 1½ kg
- White wine, as required
- Root vegetables:
- 1 red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ a small red kuri squash
- ¼ celeriac
- 2 baking potatoes
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
In the kitchen:
1. Rinse and dry the chicken and rub with salt and pepper.
2. Peel the red onion and cut in half. Slice each half. Peel the garlic and chop it. Peel the squash, celeriac and potatoes and dice coarsely. Turn them in oil, salt and pepper. Rinse the rosemary leaves, chop coarsely and mix into the root vegetables.
3. Place the root vegetables in the base of the poultry roaster and pour white wine into the cup. Place the chicken over the cup, so it rests on the vegetables. Remember to put the cap in the neck of the chicken, so the steam from the white wine stays inside the chicken.
On the barbecue:
1. Get the grill ready for in-direct heat – approx. 180°C.
2. Place the poultry roaster on the centre of the cooking grate, put the lid on and barbecue for about 1 hour. Check the chicken core temperature – it must be 75°C before the chicken is cooked through.
3. Let the chicken stand for 15 minutes before carving and serving with the root vegetables.
How Jamie Oliver makes BBQ chicken
Looking for more barbecue ideas and inspiration?
Jamie Oliver describes this chicken as 'sticky, glazed and delicious' in his recipe, and we have to say we couldn't agree more. This American style BBQ chicken is delicious enjoyed alone, or with a side of corn, salad and potato salad. Here's what you need to know:
1. Making a rub is key to super tasty BBQ chicken. Jamie Oliver combines fennel seeds, smoked paprika, caster sugar, cumin seeds, sea salt and ground black pepper to make his.
2. When adding your rub to the chicken, take time to massage it in.
3. For a super sticky finish, you'll also need to make a separate barbecue sauce. For his, Jamie Oliver combines light brown sugar, tomato ketchup, apple juice, bourbon whisky, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, English mustard, orange juice, chipotle Tabasco and sea salt.
4. Jamie Oliver adds his barbecue rub in stages to ensure each piece of chicken is saturated in the sauce.
5. He suggests cooking this BBQ chicken in the oven, if you're planning a barbecue this weekend, it might be worth par-cooking your chicken in the oven before transferring onto the barbecue to finish it off.