The best thing about vegan porridge is that the milk substitutes available nowadays are so versatile, ranging from indulgently creamy options to simple, fresh alternatives. For this reason, we're of the opinion that you can't really beat a vegan porridge... Keep everyone happy with this lovely brekkie hack that ditches dairy and doubles up on taste. A great vegan recipe for one and all.
- Find out more about the basics in our feature on how to go vegan
How to make vegan porridge
To make this lovely breakfast for one, you'll need:
- Porridge oats, 50 grams
- Almond milk (or plant-based milk of your choice) 300 ml, and about 25ml extra to serve;
- Fresh fruit/jam/syrup, to taste
1. Chuck the oats in a non-stick pan. Milk pans are ideal for the pouring process at the end.
2. Next, put your hob on a low heat and cover your oats with your favourite plant-based milk... we love almond milk but soya and oat milk work just as well. Once it comes to a gentle boil, stir with a wooden spoon.
3. Reduce the heat and continue to stir. It'll get thicker and more indulgent (yum) but not stodgy. This low and slow technique is the key to a gourmet tasting porridge.
4. Pour it into a bowl, add that last splash of milk and make it your own.
Top tip: Throwing some lovely berries on the top is a great way to add a bit of sweetness or a tart edge. We also love the crunch of some nuts (the vegan's secret weapon when it comes to packing protein into our meals). Or, how about some maple syrup for some cheeky sweetness? It sounds crazy, but trust us – it's good!