If there’s any room in the home that deserves a touch of elegance and whimsy to wash away the stresses of the day, it’s the bedroom. A firm favourite among period homeowners, the romantic, French-inspired bedroom design is easy to achieve by following a few classic tips and investing in key bedroom furniture pieces.
Set the tone with a statement bed; choose a vintage-style frame with sinuous curves and lavish treatment such as gilding or deep-buttoned upholstery. For a light-filled, heavenly space opt for walls and floors in white, cream, or soft pastel shades. Ornate wallpapers and draped window treatments really come into their own in French-style bedrooms. Finish by layering plenty of pretty textiles such as ditsy florals or silky satins, not forgetting that all-important chandelier to add sparkle.
1. Create a refined look with a patterned wallpaper
2. Choose an antique bed with an ornate headboard
A show-stopping antique bed with a floral needlepoint headboard adds a pretty vintage touch to this rustic attic bedroom. Try piling up old suitcases for an alternative bedside table.
3. Go for an all-white paint scheme
Plain white walls allow the ornate antique mirrors and bed frame to shine through in this calming scheme set in a Georgian coastal home.
4. Create the classic French look with upholstery
5. Decorate walls with a bold floral motif
In this French-style bedroom, walls papered with rolls of 19th-century American, hand block-printed wallpaper are balanced with an lace-edged antique bedspread in this pretty and immersive attic hideaway.
6. Choose a rustic bed for an authentic feel
7. Accessorise with drapes, lamps, and flowers
The inspiration for this elaborate bedroom came from a trip to Versailles. The Louis XVI-style bed was an Ebay purchase, showing this home’s lavish french-style interiors could be achieved affordably.
8. Layer patterned bedlinen for an eclectic look
9. Go for a pink paint colour scheme
Panelled walls with raised bolection mouldings are painted in Parlour Rose by Fired Earth, creating a warming, pretty scheme in a renovated townhouse. Try Afternoon Tea for a similar antique shade of pink.
10. Choose a velvet bed for the ultimate luxury
Make a lavish statement with the Sacré Coeur Bed from The French Bedroom Company, complete with gold gilt frame and deep-buttoned pink velvet upholstery.
11. Create a cosy atmosphere with muted colours
12. Work with rounded furniture shapes
Elegant Louis XV chairs in soft pink and an elaborately carved bed from French Antique Warehouse contribute to a romantic, Gallic feel, while the rose garland adds a touch of whimsy in this girls bedroom.
13. Accent with a floral headboard
14. Create a dramatic boudoir with dark colours
For an alternative take on the romantic look, paint walls and ceilings in a dark shade, furnish with antique Japanese pieces and accessorise with flirtatious grasses and glistening metallics.
15. Make a feature of beams and old walls
Try making a feature of characterful old walls by highlighting timber beams in pretty pastel shades, as done here in this 17th century French bedroom. Finish with floral bedding in coordinating colours for a boho-Gustavian feel.
16. Make a feature with a coronet
17. Achieve traditional elegance with cream shades
Walls and distressed furniture in classic cream mix with chintz textiles to capture the essence of pretty vintage style in this master bedroom.