Learning how to cook red cabbage is all about patience – cabbage is one of those vegetables that really benefits from being cooked for a good long while, whether you're boiling or braising the cabbage.
One thing to remember, though, is that red cabbage loves apples: they enhance its flavour and should be added no matter how you're cooking it.
More delicious recipes are waiting at our hub page.
How to boil red cabbage
To make delicious boiled red cabbage, you'll need:
- A red cabbage, sliced and core removed
- A green apple, chopped and core removed
- One teaspoon cinnamon
- Two star anise
- Caster sugar, about 200 grams
- Apple cider vinegar, 50 ml
- Water, 200 ml
- Two bay leaves
1. Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Add the bay leaves, cover with a lid, and simmer for 45 minutes.
3. Drain any remaining liquid and serve.
How to braise red cabbage
For braised red cabbage, you'll need:
- A red cabbage, thinly sliced and core removed
- A green apple, roughly chopped and core removed
- A medium-sized onion, sliced
- A large garlic clove, crushed
- Sugar, 200 grams
- Apple cider vinegar, 75 ml
- Water, 100 ml
- Fresh thyme, a sprig
- Olive oil, two tablespoons
1. In a deep frying pan, caramelise the onions.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the cabbage and apple. Add both to the onions, then add the sugar, thyme, and apple cider vinegar and water. Sauté for about five minutes, then reduce the heat, add the bay leaves, and simmer for about half an hour to 40 minutes.