Want to know how to make eggy bread? The beauty of this brunch staple is that it can be made sweet – more commonly referred to as French toast – or savoury, depending on your preference. An easy recipe that requires minimal ingredients, it's a great idea for weekends, when you'll likely have a little more time on your hands but still want something super easy and a bit indulgent. Follow our simple instructions below, then go wild with whatever toppings you have to hand.
For more recipe inspiration, head over to our food hub page.
How to make eggy bread
Eggy bread vs. French toast
Typically, eggy bread is savoury, while French toast is made sweet through the addition of cinnamon and vanilla extract to the egg mixture. Cooking instructions are the same for both.
To make eggy bread, you will need:
- Bread, sliced (we'd recommend one or two slices per person)
- Eggs, one per slice of bread
- Milk, one tablespoon per slice of bread
- Butter, a knob for cooking
- Salt and pepper (if you're making eggy bread)
- Vanilla extract and cinnamon (if you're making French toast)
- Toppings – maple syrup and bacon, cooked eggs, peanut butter and caramelised banana, berries and yoghurt are some of our favourites
1. Crack your eggs into a mixing bowl. Remember, your bowl will need to be large enough for you to soak each slice of bread so a shallow bowl or baking dish is good.
2. Add milk, along with salt and pepper if you're making eggy bread. Or, if it's French toast you're after, add a dash of vanilla extract and a sprinkle of cinnamon at this stage.
3. Whisk your mixture until you achieve a smooth consistency.
4. Dip your bread into the mixture, ensuring each side is saturated with the mixture.
5. Add a little butter to your pan, turn to a medium heat and wait until melted.
6. Place your egg-soaked bread into the pan and cook for two to three minutes on each side. Or, until you achieve a golden brown exterior.
7. Use a spatula to remove your eggy bread. Then, place on a plate.
8. Repeat the process for as much mixture as you have.
9. Top with your choice of toppings.