The taco is the smaller, snack-sized cousin of the burrito, and it's the perfect lunch food. And – amazingly easy to make in a top slow cooker. These slow cooked shredded chicken tacos have an amazing texture and can be served with any toppings of your choice. Here's how to make yours using any slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Get more yummy recipe ideas in our dedicated food section.
Slow cooker shredded chicken taco recipe
Ingredients (to serve 4 people):
- Raw chicken breast and thighs, about 1.5lbs
- Ground cumin, a teaspoon
- Chilli powder, a teaspoon
- Garlic powder, half a teaspoon
- Onion powder, half a teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper, a quarter of a teaspoon
- Dried oregano, a teaspoon
- Dried cilantro, a teaspoon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A tin of shopped or sieved tomatoes
- Taco shells or small soft tortillas, eight
- Toppings of your choice (e.g. shredded cheese, salsa, guacamole, soured cream)
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix the chicken with all the spices and seasoning and the tomato.
2. Transfer into your slow cooker and cook on high for four hours, or on high for seven to eight hours.
3. After the meat has finished cooking, let it stand for about 15 minutes. Then, shred with a fork, discarding all thigh bones.
4. Now, prep the tortillas. Some people like plain, soft tortillas straight out of the pack, but we like ours crispy. To achieve a crispy taco, you need to fry it in oil (use rapeseed or sunflower oil for best results). Get four tablespoons of oil hot in a skillet and fry the tortillas in it, half a tortilla at a time, bending the other half with a tong to form the shell shape.
5. Transfer the crisp tacos onto a bowl lined with paper towels.
6. Now, fill your shells with the shredded chicken and top with your favorite toppings. Yum.