This potato soup is packed full of flavour when slow cooked on the hob or in a slow cooker with mushrooms, chicken stock and plenty of seasoning. And the best thing about it is that it's made with ingredients most of us already have in the fridge.
Plus, it's cost-effective because the ingredients go a long, long way. And you'll feel full for ages. Offset its richness by serving with warm, fresh bread, or add some crunch with toasted slices.
- Discover more recipe ideas over on our food hub
You will need:
- Butter, 50 grams
- Mushrooms, 450 grams
- Flour, 30 grams
- Chicken or vegetable stock, 425 millilitres
- 2 to 3 small potatoes cut into 1.5cm pieces
- Single cream, 230 millilitres
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
1. Melt the butter in a frying pan, and add the mushrooms and cook until tender, around five minutes.
2. Add the flour slowly, and keep stirring until the mixture is smooth.
3. Place the mixture in the slow cooker and add the stock.
4. Add the potatoes, then the single cream, and stir until the mixture is combined.
5. Cover and cook on high for three hours or low for six hours, or until the potatoes are tender.
6. Season to taste and serve garnished with parsley.