Like sleep? Us, too. But it's worrying to hear that sleep deprivation is prevalent amongst us, causing us (each) to miss out on 730 hours of sleep every year. We're tired just thinking about it...
- Best mattress: 12 top buys we've tried, tested and reviewed
This new research suggests that as many as 39 per cent claiming they NEVER get a decent night’s sleep. In fact, the report shows the average we get an average of just SIX hours a night, that’s two hours less than experts recommend, amounting to a deficit of 730 hours (equivalent of 91 nights or three months’ sleep) a year.
According to the report by Slumberdown (opens in new tab), just under one in five (19 per cent) of Britons are getting the recommended eight hours a night, with 19 per cent getting by on an average of five hours and one in twenty (6 per cent) getting just four hours. And according to the survey, a lack of sleep is causing almost one in ten British couples to sleep apart every night.
The NHS claim that regular poor sleep can lead to medical conditions such as obesity, heart disease and diabetes. Yet 30 per cent admit to feeling tired every day, while a staggering 44 per cent claim they hardly ever wake up feeling refreshed after a good night’s sleep. What's to blame? Well a quarter (26 per cent) of us are kept awake with worries about life, while 20 per cent feel too hot and 18 per cent claim they suffer from vivid nightmares. Snoring is a contributing factor to lack of sleep, too, with 14 per cent complaining that their other half snores.
This is not good, guys, so to help we've selected some of our top buys to help you get the kip you need (every night) so you wake up feeling refreshed and well rested. Use our handy widget below for the best prices.
More bedding advice
- How to fall asleep fast: 6 tricks to try before bed to nod of quickly
- Want to refresh rather than replace your mattress? View our best mattress topper guide
- For more pillows, take a look at our guide on the best pillows
- Or, if it's time for a new duvet, our best duvet guide looks at all the options available
- Check out our mattress sales page for our top sleeping mattresses, at bargain prices