This slow cooker roast chicken recipe is inspired by summer barbecues – but you can make it in the middle of winter, without the need of barbecue equipment. The trick here is the use of smoked paprika, a wonderfully flavoursome ingredient that will instantly turn a standard roast chicken into a super tasty one.
Not got a slow cooker yet and wondering what type you need for this recipe? Sounds obvious, but it depends on the size of your chicken (and how many you're feeding). Ideally, you don't want to have to ram your chicken into a pot that's too small, so consider that before you buy.
And if you think you'd like to regularly slow cook joints of meat, but don't want a slow cooker that's too large, it's worth looking at smaller, oval-shaped slow cookers (rather than circular ones), since the shape is better for fitting in larger pieces of meat.
We've listed a few of the best slow cookers on sale at the moment just below; if you already have one, keep scrolling for the recipe. For more recipes, go to our dedicated hub page.
Slow cooker roast chicken recipe
For this simple yet delicious recipe, you will need:
- White onion, one
- Carrots, two
- A large whole chicken
- Smoked paprika, 10 grams
- Garlic, one clove
1. Line the bottom of your slow cooker with the roughly chopped onion and carrots.
2. Mix the paprika, salt, and finely chopped garlic clove in a small bowl. Score the chicken skin in a few places, then rub as much of the chicken as you can with the seasoning.
3. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables, then cook for five hours on the low setting of your cooker.
4. If you want crispy skin, stick the pot under the grill for the last five to 10 minutes, without the lid. Check that your slow cooker is safe to go under the grill; if not – transfer the chicken into a grill proof dish for the skin crisping.
5. The juices remaining from cooking will make an excellent sauce/gravy, especially if you're serving the chicken with mashed potato.
- Need more buys for your kitchen? Check out our appliance deals