A slow cooker leg of lamb recipe with a Moroccan twist – this recipe really honours the rich taste of lamb without overpowering it, and the ingredients are very easy to find.
Lamb has a very specific, delicious flavour if its own that doesn't require too much intervention. Often, a sprig of rosemary and a garlic clove will do to flavour it. However, there is something about the traditional North African spice blend ras el hanout that makes lamb really sing. This lamb recipe is therefore best served with a pomegranate couscous or tabbouleh, but there's no reason it can't also be served with mashed potato if you prefer.
A large slow cooker is essential here, because you'll be cooking up to a whole kilo of meat on the bone. If you need a new slow cooker, check some of these slow cooker deals:
Slow cooker leg of lamb recipe
For this delicious slow cooker leg of lamb with a spiced twist, you will need:
- A leg of lamb, on the bone, anywhere between 700 grams and 1 kilo
- Ras el hanout spice mix, available in most supermarkets; there's no precise ingredient list of this spice mix, but it's likely to contain cinnamon, paprika, all spice, nutmeg, and rose petals
- Chicken or lamb stock, 750 ml
For the tabbouleh you will need:
- Cooked couscous or bulgur wheat, 300 grams
- Fresh parsley, 200 grams, finely chopped
- Half a white onion, finely chopped
- A large tomato, fined chopped
- The juice of one lemon
- Olive oil, two to four tablespoons
- Pomegranate seeds
- Salt, to taste
1. Make small incision in the lamb leg and rub in the spice mix. You can also rub a garlic clove over the lamb, but that's optional.
2. Place the lamb into the slow cooker and cover with the stock liquid. Cook on low for 10 hours.
3. When the lamb is nearly done, combine all the ingredients for the tabbouleh in a large bowl and mixed well. You want a zingy, citrusy flavour; if it's too dry, add more lemon juice.
4. Shred the meat off the leg with a fork. It should fall away easily. Serve on top of the tabbouleh.
See lots more healthy and easy slow cooker recipes in our collection