The holiday season is upon us and there’s no better way to celebrate the end of such a tumultuous year than with a decadent (and boozy) serving of holiday cheer… otherwise known as classic eggnog.
Whether store bought or homemade, the decadent holiday drink, which makes the perfect Thanksgiving cocktail or Christmas tipple, is rich and tasty in its own right, but there’s something to be said about making it at home with a healthy serving of rum. While it might seem intimidating at first to go at it in the kitchen with a carton of eggs and a bottle of booze, even the most inexperienced home bartenders will be surprised and delighted by just how fluffy, flavorful, and easy a homemade eggnog recipe can be.
In order to help get you started on your way to all-star holiday bartender, we’ve laid out one of the best homemade eggnog recipes we’ve found to date. Not overly sweet and definitely not the watered-down variety you’d find in the grocery store, this Fluffy AF Eggnog Recipe from Classy AF Cocktails will change the way you look at the beloved holiday drink for good.
Fluffy AF Eggnog recipe
“As the year comes to a close, there’s something to be said for a winter- spiced dessert in a glass,” author Calligraphuck says. “Homemade with booze in it, all the better!”
- 8 fresh whole eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup [130 g] sugar
- 2 cups [480 ml] brandy, dark rum, or bourbon
- 11⁄2 cup [360 ml] heavy cream
- 11⁄2 cup [360 ml] whole milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites and reserve. In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with salt until frothy. Continue whipping while slowly adding 1⁄3 cup [65 g] of the sugar. Whisk to rm but not sti peaks (around shaving cream consistency). Reserve.
- Add the egg yolks to a bowl with the remaining 1⁄3 cup [65 g] sugar and whisk until pale. When you lift the whisk, the mixture should form ribbons that slowly dissolve into the batter. Slowly incorporate the brandy, then the heavy cream and milk.
- Gently fold the reserved egg whites into the mixture. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- To serve, gently mix before ladling into small wine glasses or cups. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.
Makes 10 servings
Vessel: 4 quart [3.8 L] or larger mixing bowl
Reprinted from Classy as Fuck Cocktails by Calligraphuck with permission by Chronicle Books, 2020.