Had you planned to spend Mother's Day treating someone special to a tasty lunch, brunch, or dinner, out? Whether you spend the day celebrating with your Mum, Grandma, Aunt, sister or friends, social distancing recommendations mean that we should probably avoid restaurants and pubs. But, that doesn't have to mean forgoing the celebrations, altogether.
Why not prepare something delicious from home, instead? We've been in touch with Gousto, who shared a delicious Mediterranean vegetable lasagne that's sure to impress this Mother's Day.
- For more recipe ideas and inspiration, head over to our food hub
Mediterranean vegetable lasagne recipe
- Lasagne sheets, six
- Red pepper
- Garlic cloves, two crushed
- Basil, a handful
- Grated Italian hard cheese, 35 grams
- Tomato paste, a good squirt
- A can of chopper tomatoes
What is Gousto?
Gousto is a recipe subscription service that delivers fresh ingredients straight to your door. If you're self isolating, or simply want to treat someone to something delicious, it could be an option worth considering.
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C
2. Deseed the red pepper (scrape the seeds and pith out with a teaspoon) and cut into bite-sized pieces. Also cut the aubergine and courgette into bite-sized pieces and peel and finely chop (or grate) the garlic.
3. Heat a large, wide-based pan (preferably non-stick) with a drizzle of olive oil over a medium-high heat
Once hot, add the red pepper, aubergine and courgette with a large pinch of salt and cook for 8-10 min or until the vegetables are starting to brown slightly and caramelise.
4. While the vegetables are cooking, melt 30 grams of butter into a pan over a medium heat. Once melted, add 30 grams of flour and stir with a wooden spoon for 1-2 min, or until a sandy paste forms – this is your roux.
5. Whisk 350ml milk gradually into the roux and cook for 5 min until a smooth, thick sauce remains. Once the sauce has thickened, remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper and stir through the grated cheddar – this is your cheese sauce.
6. Once the vegetables have caramelised, add the chopped garlic, tomato paste, 1 tsp sugar, chopped tomatoes and 100ml boiled water to the pan. Cook for 3-4 min or until thickened to a pasta sauce consistency – this is your vegetable sauce. Chop the basil stalks (save the leaves for later!) and add them to the pan.
7. Layer some of the vegetable sauce over the bottom of an oven-proof dish, then top with 3 lasagne sheets. Repeat this process until you end up with a final layer of lasagne sheets.
Tip: You may need to layer differently depending on the size of your dish!
8. Finally top with the cheese sauce, making sure all of the lasagne is covered. Sprinkle the grated Italian hard cheese directly over the cheese sauce and put the dish in the oven for 30-35 min or until the lasagne is cooked - this is your Mediterranean vegetable lasagne.