This one pot slow cooker pasta bake is such an easy midweek meal to make – especially since it uses a fajita mix to add seasoning and taste. To achieve a deeper depth of flavour to your chicken, try to remember to marinade the day before, too. This recipe can be cooked in a pressure cooker, – much more speedily – and, of course, you can make it in a lidded pot on the hob if you don't have a slow cooker (yet).
- Find more recipe ideas and inspiration, head over to our food hub
Slow cooker pasta bake
To prepare this delicious – and super easy – slow cooker past bake, you will need...
- Skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into strips, 600 grams
- Fajita seasoning, 50 grams
- Vegetable oil, a tablespoon
- A large onion, thinly sliced
- Hot chicken stock, 800 millilitres
- Farfalle pasta, 300 grams
- A tin of chopped tomatoes
- A green pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- A red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- A yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- To serve - sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, chopped jalapeños
1. Place the chicken into a suitable mixing bowl. Add the fajita seasoning (we used two sachets of the medium flavoured seasoning). Stir well to thoroughly mix and set aside for approximately 30 minutes.
2. Select Brown/Sauté on your slow cooker and allow to heat. If you don't have that function, you can do this step in a frying pan.
3. Add the oil and the chicken and stir fry for around five minutes, stirring occasionally allowing the chicken to brown.
4. Add the onion and continue sautéing for a further two to three minutes.
5. If you've been cooking in a frying pan, transfer to the warmed slow cooker now. Pour in the hot stock on top, add the pasta and briefly stir.
6. Pour in the chopped tomatoes and do not stir.
7. Place the peppers onto a square piece of foil and loosely fold around, crimping the edges to make a parcel.
8. Sit the parcel on top of the tomatoes (this prevents the peppers from getting too mushy).
9. Secure the lid and cook on high for eight to 10 minutes.
10. Once the time has elapsed, allow the unit to continue onto Keep Warm for a further five minutes.
11. Remove the lid, using a pair of tongs carefully release the peppers from the foil pack and empty into the bowl. Stir well to combine the ingredients.
12. Adjust the seasoning and serve ladled into warm pasta bowls.
13. Add a dollop of sour cream, a handful of grated cheddar and a scattering of chopped jalapeños.