This gorgeous spring roast lamb recipe promises maximum flavour and loveliness. Tender and succulent, it's basted in a zesty honey and wine marinade – the perfect twist on a family favourite at Easter. Served with roast potatoes and asparagus, if you can get them, it's an easy recipe (we'd love to take credit for it, but it's courtesy of Aldi).
How to make spring roast lamb
- 1 leg of lamb (2.2-2.8kg)
- 60ml runny honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 5g fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon
- 200ml white wine
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 375g packs asparagus tips
- Meat gravy granules
- Sea salt and black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/200°C/gas mark 7.
2. Grate the rind from the lemon and then juice.
3. Mix together in a bowl the garlic, rosemary, wine, honey, mustard, lemon rind and juice – season with some salt and black pepper.
4. Place the lamb in a roasting tin and rub over the honey and wine mixture.
5. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
6. Reduce the heat to 180°C/160ºC fan oven/gas mark 4 and roast for another 70 to 80 minutes, depending on how pink you like it (baste the lamb frequently during cooking).
7. Once cooked, remove from the oven, cover with foil and allow to rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
To make the gravy:
1. Strain away any fat from the roasting pan and use the meat juices when you make your gravy with the gravy granules.
2. Cook the asparagus in some boiling salted water for three to four minutes, then drain.
3. Serve the lamb on a bed of asparagus, sprinkled with some chopped parsley, sea salt and black pepper.