Slow cooking this chicken and sweetcorn soup will make the meat beautifully tender, while requiring minimal effort. Plus, the added chili and lime make it a little more zingy and flavourful than your average chicken broth.
If you want to turn it into more of a meal, reduce the sauce a little more and serve it accompanied with rice. Coriander makes a great alternative garnish if you don’t want the kick of extra chili. You can cook this recipe in a slow cooker or on the hob. We've given instructions for both methods.
You will need:
- 500g skinless boneless chicken thighs, or breasts, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 500ml chicken stock
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green chillli, chopped, plus slices, seeds removed if preferred, to garnish
- 200g can sweetcorn
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp lime juice
1. Add the chicken to the slow cooker or a heavy based pan and stir in stock, cannellini beans, onion, garlic, chili, sweetcorn, cumin and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Cover and cook on low for seven to eight hours in the slow cooker; or for three hours on a hob.
3. Stir in lime juice and season to taste.
4. Garnish with slices of green chili.
- For more recipe ideas, head over to our food hub