Slow cooking this chicken and sweetcorn soup will make the meat beautifully tender, while requiring minimal effort. Plus, the added chili and lime make it a little more zingy and flavourful than your average chicken broth.
If you want to turn it into more of a meal, reduce the sauce a little more and serve it accompanied with rice or boiled potatoes. Coriander makes a great alternative garnish if you don’t want the kick of extra chili. You can cook this recipe in a slow cooker or on the hob. We've given instructions for both methods.
You will need:
- 500g skinless boneless chicken thighs, or breasts, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 500ml chicken stock
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green chillli, chopped, plus slices, seeds removed if preferred, to garnish
- 200g can sweetcorn
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp lime juice
1. Add the chicken to the slow cooker or a heavy based pan and stir in stock, cannellini beans, onion, garlic, chili, sweetcorn, cumin and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Cover and cook on low for seven to eight hours in the slow cooker; or for three hours on a hob.
3. Stir in lime juice and season to taste.
4. Garnish with slices of green chili.
Sweetcorn chowder Jamie Oliver style
Is there any dish Jamie Oliver won't make better? His take on the classic corn chowder soup uses chicken stock but not chicken meat; instead, it adds crispy pancetta to introduce a meaty flavour to a vegetable-based cream soup.
He also adds potato to the soup mix for a starchier, more substantial chowder base. So, if you want Jamie Oliver's corn chowder, use all the ingredients we use for our soup, but also add a chopped celery stick and two medium peeled and chopped potatoes. Then, at the very end, add oven-dried pancetta – or fry it with the onion and celery at the very beginning like Jamie and add a little extra on top.