We’re going to be strict here: a mattress protector is not an optional extra. Yes, we hear you saying ‘I can just put a sheet over the mattress, can’t I?’ Or even, ‘My mattress is brand new. Why would I need one?’ Our answer? You need a mattress protector for all your beds for a whole host of reasons.
Now, we know you trust us, but we’d be remiss if we didn’t share our reasons, so here they are…
1. A mattress protector will protect you (Part 1)
Thought this was all about the mattress? We’ll get to that, but first the horrifying but true fact that you are not alone in bed (and we’re not referring to your snoring, fidgeting partner). A mattress is home to bacteria and dust mites and who wants to be up close and personal with all of that? A mattress protector is an extra barrier between you and your uninvited, unwanted lodgers.
2. A mattress protector will protect you (Part 2)
If you, or your loved ones, have allergies caused by dust mites – and that’s at least 12 million Britons, according to a report by Allergy UK and featured by The Independent – a mattress protector can make the bed less hospitable to them. So, that’s not only a relief from the ‘yuck’ factor we discussed in tip 1, above, but also from the symptoms of allergy. Even better, you can wash a mattress protector to get rid of dust mites – can't say the same for mattresses.
3. A mattress protector will, er, protect your mattress
Well, duh. But you’ve thought about firmness, the position you prefer to sleep in, what sort of filling you favour, and chosen the best mattress for you, and now you want the maximum lifespan from your purchase. A mattress protector will prevent wear to the cover, keeping the mattress itself looking and feeling (and smelling) new.
4. A mattress protector will protect the warranty of the mattress
Yes, one more thing you need to protect after yourself and your mattress – the warranty. Stain a mattress and this won’t apply. Add a mattress protector and you’ll keep it clean, and the warranty valid. Simple – and especially important if you're trying out a new mattress on a 100-night trial and may want to return it.
5. A mattress protector boosts comfort
Perfectly suited to you though your mattress may be, that’s not to say your bed couldn’t be even more comfortable. Mattress covers can include layers that up the luxury and solve sleep-disturbing problems. If you’re inclined to overheat at night, the Casper mattress protector is designed with microscopic pores to let air in and stop sweatiness. Extra cushioning required? The Emma SmartSleeve mattress protector delivers on comfort.
6. A mattress protector means sheets will last longer
Once a fitted sheet is in place over the mattress protector, we’re talking beautifully made bed and a sheet that won’t move about (even if you are a wriggler). Less wear, longer life.
7. Mattress protectors will be on sale on Black Friday
Bedding is always on sale on Black Friday, so it's a great time to get yourself a bargain or two. Convinced? Here are some the best places – after our list of the best mattress protectors – to buy.
- Dreams mattress protectors
- Furniture Village mattress protectors
- Amazon mattress protectors
- Very mattress protectors
- eBay mattress protectors
- The White Company mattress protectors
- John Lewis mattress protectors
- Wayfair mattress protectors
- Argos Home mattress protectors
- Dunelm mattress protectors
- Soak & Sleep mattress protectors
- Wilko mattress protectors
- Habitat mattress protectors