There are certain kitchen chores that we tend to put off over and over until we can no longer ignore them and cleaning the oven ranks very high on the list! Taking the time to actually take apart and wash the interior of the oven makes washing dishes, tidying the kitchen countertops, and taking out the recycling seem fun and exciting in comparison.
Which is why we were surprised to see a viral TikTok oven cleaning hack—who wants to clean their own oven, let alone watch someone else clean theirs, right? Well, as it turns out, this new cleaning hack is not super satisfying to watch—look at that glimmer!—it’s actually a really smart alternative to oven cleaning products on the market.
@stephaniemelendez62 (opens in new tab)
not my original idea, just don't know where I saw it. worked like a charm! #OutPizzaTheHut #LoveStory #clean #scrub #StrikeAPosay #cleaning #hacks♬ Steven Universe - L.Dre (opens in new tab)
One of the main reasons this hack has become so popular is probably due to the fact that it requires barely any elbow grease and absolutely no harsh chemicals. As a matter of fact, it requires very few ingredients, all of which are totally chemical-free and natural.
Below, we’ve outlined exactly what you need in order to copy the TikTok cleaning trend --and let’s just say these three little ingredients will absolutely change the way you keep your oven looking and feeling as clean as the day you moved in.
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup of regular dish soap, like Dawn or PalmOlive
- 1/4 cup of regular white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups of baking soda
Note: You’ll also need a mixing bowl and an abrasive sponge or wash rag to spread the mixture into your oven
- See also: How to clean oven racks
- Combine dish soap, white vinegar, and baking soda together in a bowl and mix until bubbling subsides and the mixture becomes smooth and creamy in texture
- Use a sponge or wash rag to evenly spread the paste mixture onto the interior of your oven, including the inside of the glass door, heating elements, and all sides of the oven
- Leave on for four to six hours before wiping off completely. For a deeper clean, consider leaving the mixture on overnight.
Looks easy, right? While the viral trend almost seems too good to be true, it has racked up hundreds of thousands of views and comments from users sharing just how well it worked in their own kitchens. Sounds to us like we may have a brand new eco-friendly oven cleaning solution on our hands.