Smashed potatoes are the perfect alternative to roast potatoes or mashed potatoes and they make a great addition to a roast. The trick to nailing this potato recipe? Using new season, baby potatoes only. Tip: the yellower the potatoes look, the nicer the smashed potato result will be.
For more exciting recipes, head to our food hub page.
How to make smashed potatoes
To make enough smashed potatoes for four, you'll need:
- Baby potatoes, 500 grams
- Olive oil, four tablespoons
- A herb mix, or a sprig of fresh rosemary/thyme, chopped
- A garlic clove, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Parmesan cheese (optional), 50 grams
1. Pre-boil the baby potatoes in salted water for 15 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
3. Scatter the boiled potatoes over the baking tray lined with foil. Now, smash them one by one. We prefer doing this with the underside of a small ceramic bowl: press down hard enough so that the potato smashes, but not so hard that it falls apart.
4. Season with salt, herbs, and chopped garlic, and drizzle generously with the olive oil. For even more flavoursome potatoes, sprinkle with grated Parmesan.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden.