This is a basic (but tasty) sugar cookies recipe. Use it to quickly make these favorite snacks... and decorate them to suit the occasion. Make these your go-to Christmas cookies, while they really are perfect for every holiday like Halloween, Easter or Thanksgiving. Simply decorate them with tree-like icing, or as Easter eggs, letters or numbers (the possibilities are endless!).
This recipe will make 48 little sugar cookies, but you can easily adjust it to make more or less. Preparation is under 15 minutes and cooking time is just 10 minutes. Scroll down for more... and for all our food features and recipes, don't miss our dedicated hub page.
How to make sugar cookies
You will need:
- 2 ¾ cups/350g all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup/227g butter, softened
- 1½ cups/190g white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Icing and sprinkles to decorate (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 190ºC/375ºF/gas mark 5.
2. Put the flour, baking soda and baking powder into a small bowl and combine thoroughly.
3. Next, in a larger bowl, beat the sugar into the butter until the consistency is thick and creamy and smooth. The mix should have lightened in the beating. That's a good thing. Add the egg and vanilla into the bowl and mix vigorously and thoroughly.
4. Now add the flour and baking soda/powder mix, blending the two together slowly until a dough is formed. Don't over mix or you'll get tough sugar cookies!
5. Separate the dough into small balls (if it can sit on a teaspoon, it's the right size). Put them onto cookie sheets (ungreased).
6. Pop them in the oven to bake – check on them after eight minutes to ensure they're not burning. They should be golden when they come out.
7. Once out, give them a couple of minutes to cool, then carefully transfer them on to a wire rack to cool.
8. Once cooled, you can either dive right in or add your decorations! We love icings and sprinkles, but the possibilities are endless.