This mixed pepper and tomato pasta tray bake is the ultimate crowd pleaser – Jamie Oliver has adapted the plain old pasta bake recipe, that we all know and love, to create this (unsurprisingly) healthy meal. Jamie says: 'This is really easy to prepare, and roasting it in the oven intensifies the Mediterranean flavours for a rich and comforting sauce.'
Whether your cooking skills are on par with Jamie's, if you are desperately searching for a quick but delicious lunch or even an easy mid-week meal idea, don't worry as this recipe is simplicity at its best. Our recipe serves four, takes just 10 minutes to prep and 45 mins to cook. Better still? You can freeze and reheat the leftovers...
Keep scrolling for all the details you need – and don't forget to check out all our food pages for more recipes.
Jamie Oliver's pepper and tomato pasta tray bake
- Thanks to Tesco for this recipe
- 4 mixed-colour peppers
- Handful cherry tomatoes
- 2 red onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of fresh basil (30g)
- Olive oil
- 250g ricotta
- 300g rigatoni
- Splash of red wine vinegar
- 20g pecorino or Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/180°C fan/gas mark 4.
2. Deseed and finely slice the peppers and chop the tomatoes in half. Dice the onions and garlic, reserving a few slices of garlic. Pick the basil leaves and set then aside, then finely chop the stalks.
3. Place everything in a large, deep roasting tray and add 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Create some space in the middle of the mixture. Drain the ricotta and place it in the tray. Then add the remaining garlic slices, and drizzle this with some oil. Roast this for 45 mins, or until the vegetables are soft.
5. Cook the rigatoni in salted water according to the instructions on the packet.
6. Put the ricotta on to to a plate, add a cap full of vinegar to the peppers and mix this well.
7. Place the tray on a medium heat. Drain the pasta, but keep a mugful of the starchy cooking water. Add the pasta and a dash of cooking water to the tray and mix everything together.
8. Grate over the cheese and add in the basil leaves. Then spoon over the ricotta (this meal is perfectly finished off with a side of green salad).