Upside down cake not only tastes delicious, but it looks pretty impressive too, which is what makes it a favourite among keen bakers. But, did you know that you can prepare a cake in a slow cooker? If not, you're in for a treat because this in one of our favourite slow cooker cakes.
For this recipe you will need to grease and line the base and sides of your slow cooker/Crockpot bowl with some foil or baking parchment. Then, it's just a case of letting your appliance work its magic.
- Head over to our food hub for more recipe ideas
Upside down cake
Ingredients for the sponge:
- Caster sugar, 150 grams
- Softened butter, 150 grams
- 3 medium eggs
- Self raising flour, 150 grams
Ingredients for the raspberry topping:
- Caster sugar, 50 grams
- Softened butter, 50 grams
- Fresh raspberries, 300 grams (you could also sub in frozen raspberries)
1. Prepare the topping by placing the sugar and butter into a small mixing bowl. Use a hand mixer to whisk for approx one minute until combined.
2. Spoon onto the lined base of your bowl, spreading evenly to cover.
3. Top with the raspberries.
4. For the sponge, place the butter and sugar into a medium sized mixing bowl and whisk until light and creamy.
5. Gradually whisk in the eggs beating well between each addition.
6. Slowly mix in the flour, do not over-mix.
7. Spoon the sponge mixture over the raspberries and level the top.
8. Place a clean tea-towel over the bowl before closing the lid, this will ensure your cake stays dry during cooking.
9. Cook on Low for 2.5 to three hours.
10. Remove the tea-towel and lid and carefully place the inner bowl onto a wire cooling rack for approx 30 mins.
11. Carefully remove the cake using the foil sling which formed part of your bowl lining. Otherwise run a knife around the outside of the cake and invert the pot, carefully catching the cooled cake onto your hand before transferring to a plate.
12. Delicious served warm with whipped cream or ice cream.