Homemade tomato pasta sauce should be a staple in most homes – it certainly is in ours. Not only is it seriously affordable to make – it may even work out cheaper than pre-made sauces – it also only requires a few ingredients and can be ready in under 5 minutes, though we'd recommend allowing it to stew for as long as possible for maximum flavour. Not to mention the fact that it's much healthier due to a significantly lower salt and sugar intake.
Once the sauce is made, you can serve it over plain pasta, or stir in some roasted veg, chicken, or even a little bit of cheese. The choice is yours. We'll warn you though, this will become a staple sooner than you might've imagined.
For more recipe ideas and inspiration, head over to our food hub.
Tomato pasta sauce
- A can of tinned tomatoes
- Vegetable stock cube
- Garlic, three cloves crushed
- Tomato puree, one tablespoon
- Olive oil, a good glug
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- Optional: chilli flakes, fresh basil
1. Add a good glug of olive oil to a frying pan, along with your crushed garlic. Allow to soften for a minute or two.
2. Add your tinned tomatoes – chopped or plum work – to the pan, along with a crumbled stock cube, tomato puree, a liberal amount of salt and pepper and chilli flakes, if this is your preference.
3. Simmer on a medium heat for five minutes, stirring regularly. Once warm, add some freshly chopped basil if you so wish.
4. Serve with pasta, as well as any roasted veg, chicken or cheese you're choosing to serve with.
Serving your tomato pasta sauce
When it comes to enjoying your tomato pasta sauce, there are a variety of options available to you. Either enjoy it plain – it's certainly tasty enough to do so – or stir in roasted veg, chicken, or sprinkle with a little cheese to add an extra dimension.
This tomato pasta sauce can also be enjoyed with rice, if you don't happen to have any pasta kicking around,