Huevos rancheros are one of our favourite alternative brunch ideas, and are a great way to enjoy something savoury for breakfast. A great alternative to poached or boiled eggs, this Mexican classic combines tomatoes, onions and eggs for a healthy, balanced meal to help you start your day right.
Another thing we love about huevos rancheros is how adaptable it is, with the options to add avocado, beans, peppers, or whatever else you might have hanging around. Basically, huevos rancheros is fried egg with warm tomato salsa, served on a warm tortilla. Simple and tasty.
Want more easy and delicious recipes? Head to our food hub page.
Huevos rancheros recipe
For this very easy huevos rancheros recipe for two people, you'll need:
- Four eggs
- One tin of tomatoes, or 500 grams of fresh tomatoes
- Half an onion, finely chopped
- Medium hot chillies or jalapeños, to taste
- Chipotle chilli powder, half a teaspoon
- Coriander, a small handful, finely chopped
- Olive oil, two tablespoons, plus extra for the tortilla and eggs
- Two tortillas
- Salt, to taste
1. Begin by warming the onion in the olive oil. Let it soften without colouring.
2. Add the tomatoes, chilli powder and fresh chillies; season lightly with salt. Fry for five to ten minutes, until fragrant and not too watery. If using fresh tomatoes, extend cooking time by five minutes.
3. In a separate frying pan, warm a little olive oil and prepare the tortillas by gently warming them in the oil for half a minute on each side. They should soften and start rising a little. Transfer them onto plates.
4. Fry your eggs in the same pan you used for the tortillas. Two to three minutes for runny yolks, longer if you like them harder.
5. Use a ladle or serving spoon to transfer the salsa onto the tortillas. Top with the fried eggs and fresh coriander.
Tip: For an even more substantial breakfast, you can add beans to your tomatoes, or freshly sliced avocado at the serving stage.