Bubble and squeak is a British delicacy often enjoyed post-roast. But, did you know that it also makes for a super tasty brunch idea? Well, you do now. And you'll know exactly why once you've seen Jamie Oliver's take on it.
Served with poached eggs, Jamie Oliver's bubble and squeak recipe is not only an easy brunch idea that's packed full of flavour and promises to leave you fuller for longer, it also provides the perfect solution for using up leftover veg. Great news if you're conscious about ensuring your shopping goes further.
Jamie Oliver's bubble and squeak with eggs
To recreate Jamie Oliver's bubble and squeak, you will need:
- Roughly chopped mixed vegetables, 500 grams
- Floury potatoes, 750 grams
- Olive oil
- Free range eggs
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
1. Roughly chop your mixed veg and potatoes, before placing in a pan of lightly salted boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Add a small amount of butter and oil to a pan and once it's hot, add your boiled vegetable mixture. You can either add a small amount if your aim is to make small patties or add everything in at the same time to make one large patty.
3. Begin mashing your veg and potato mix in the pan, forming a large pancake-shaped patty. Cook on a medium heat for 30 minutes, checking that it doesn't burn at the bottom every five minutes.
4. Once the bottom turns golden brown, flip your bubble and squeak patty and continue cooking until it's crispy on all sides.
5. Once the bubble and squeak is nearly ready, you can get to work on poaching your eggs – our guide to how to poach an egg will talk you through the steps for the best results.
6. Serve your bubble and squeak with your poached eggs for a tasty breakfast idea.