Since most of us have a little bit more time to spare at the moment, why not consider ditching the pre-made pasta sauces and giving this super simple homemade tomato pasta sauce a go, instead?
Not only is it seriously affordable to make – it may even work out cheaper than pre-made sauces – it also only requires a few ingredients and will be ready in under 5 minutes. Not to mention the fact that it's much healthier due to a significantly lower salt and sugar intake.
Once the sauce is made, you can serve is over plain pasta, or stir in some roasted veg, chicken, or even a little bit of cheese. The choice is yours.
For more recipe ideas and inspiration, head over to our food hub.
Tomato pasta sauce recipe
- A can of tinned tomatoes
- Vegetable stock cube
- Garlic, three cloves crushed
- Tomato puree, one tablespoon
- Olive oil, a good glug
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- Optional: chilli flakes, fresh basil
1. Add a good glug of olive oil to a frying pan, along with your crushed garlic. Allow to soften for a minute or two.
2. Add your tinned tomatoes – chopped or plumb work – to the pan, along with a crumbled stock cube, tomato puree, a liberal amount of salt and pepper and chilli flakes, if this is your preference.
3. Simmer on a medium heat for five minutes, stirring regularly. Once warm, add some freshly chopped basil if you so wish.
4. Serve with pasta, as well as any roasted veg, chicken or cheese you're choosing to serve with.