Tender and packed with flavour, lamb’s a top choice for a special meal shared with family and friends. Our instructions bring out the delicious taste of the meat and keep things straightforward by simply seasoning it before cooking.
But lamb also tastes amazing with rosemary and garlic. If you want to flavour it this way, you’d just need to make small slits into the meat with a sharp knife and push a sliver of garlic and a few leaves of rosemary into each slit before cooking.
For more recipes (including for roasties and veg), see our dedicated hub.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours 5 minutes to 2 hours 30 minutes
1.85kg leg of lamb
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/GM4.
1. Sprinkle leg of lamb with salt and pepper just before cooking, and place it in a roasting tin.
2. Cook in the centre of the oven for around 2 hours 5 minutes for medium (that is, pink), or around 2 hours 30 minutes for well done meat.
3. Baste with its own juices two or three times during the cooking process.
4. To test whether the lamb is cooked, insert a skewer into the thickest part of the meat. For medium, the juices should be slightly pink and for well done, they should be clear.
5. Rest the leg of lamb in a warm place for 20 minutes before carving.