Learning how to cook spinach couldn't be easier – or quicker. Spinach needs one minute to cook – overcook it at your peril, as you may end up with a rubbery texture or spinach that falls apart, or even worse, tastes bitter. Follow our quick cooking method below for perfect wilted spinach that's ready to serve with your lunch or dinner.
For more food preparation tips and recipes, visit our hub page.
How to cook spinach
To make enough as a side for two, you will need:
- Fresh spinach leaves, 400 grams, rinsed
- Salt, to taste
- Olive oil, a tablespoon
- A large garlic clove, peeled
- A wedge of lemon
1. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the garlic clove. Let the garlic soften and infuse the oil, without colouring.
2. Add the spinach and sauté for one minute.
3. Transfer into a bowl, discard the garlic clove. Season with salt and squeeze the lemon wedge over the spinach. Don't use too much lemon, as it'll overpower the delicate flavour.