What is a smart speaker? The world of smart tech can seem like a confusing one, but it doesn't have to be. We're here to cut through the jargon and deliver the clear, concise information you need to increase the connectivity of your home, which will ultimately make daily life easier and more efficient. We'll fill you in on exactly what a smart speaker is, as well as providing information on what they can offer and why you might think about investing in one, if you haven't already.
What is a smart speaker?
A smart speaker differs from the average speaker in that it's designed to provide a home for a smart assistant – Alexa for the Amazon Echo, Google Assistant for Google Home and Siri for Apple devices are the most popular examples.
This, in turn, allows you to play music, set timers, receive weather updates and control your smart home devices using simple voice commands, which has the power to make daily life easier and more efficient.
Here's how a smart speaker might make life more efficient:
- Access your diary, with ease, so you know exactly what you're doing, when
- Connect smart bulbs – this will allow you to set lighting schedules for enhanced home security, improved ambience and more
- Turn off your heating with a single voice command, or from any location, to improve energy efficiency and reduce bills
- Keep a closer eye on your home from any location by connecting smart security systems, be that cameras, video doorbells or something more specific
- Keep up to date with the latest news, match results and other important information
- Order an Uber, and receive a notification when it pulls up, without having to reach for your phone
- Call friends and family members while pottering around your home