Homemade tortilla chips are just as yummy as shop bought ones and are really easy to make. You don't need fancy ingredients, just tortillas, salt, and oil. Follow this simple recipe and enjoy perfect tortillas with your favourite dips.
Find more food tips and recipes at our hub page.
Homemade tortilla chips recipe
To make a batch of homemade tortilla chips for two, you'll need:
- Four plain tortillas
- Olive, sunflower, or vegetable oil, four to six tablespoons
- All-purpose seasoning (optional)
- Chilli or paprika powder (optional)
1. Dry out the tortillas bu leaving them overnight, or in a warm oven for a few minutes.
2. Cut the tortillas into triangles – cut in half first, and then slice.
3. Warm the oil in a deep drying pan until hot and almost sizzling. Place the tortilla slices in the oil in a single layer. Fry for about five minutes, or until they're golden.
4. Turn down the heat on the oil and remove the cooked tortilla chips. Place on a paper towel and season. Cover with another bit of paper towel.
5. Now turn up the heat on the oil again and fry the next batch. Repeat until you have a nice stack of tortillas layered with paper towel, which will absorb excess oil. Remove the paper towel and transfer into a bowl. Top up with seasoning if needed.