Looking for a healthy slow cooker recipe for an easy mid-week supper? Once again, we turn to Asian cooking for inspiration. As the weather gets colder, the warming ingredients of Japanese, Korean, and Thai cuisines really come into their own. Feeling a cold coming on? This comforting, tangy Teriyaki chicken recipe is exactly what you need to feel better. Love a takeaway but saving your pennies? Homemade is always better and cheaper.
Why make this in a slow cooker? The trouble with Teriyaki is that it can burn easily in a conventional pot; typically, you'll have to cook your chicken separately, and then mix the sauce quickly and pour it on top. Nothing wrong with that, but we just love properly infusing the chicken with this sauce, hence the slow cooker.
- Where's the best place to get your slow cooker? With Black Friday coming up, expect some amazing Black Friday deals at John Lewis, on slow cookers and more. If you want a brand new discounted slow cooker now, check out these current deals from Amazon and Currys below.
We're keeping a close eye on John Lewis slow cookers because we're expecting some good deals around Black Friday. There's plenty to buy now, if you can't wait; otherwise, bookmark their slow cookers page now to make sure you don't miss out.
Crock-Pot Lift & Serve Digital Slow Cooker at Amazon | Was £60, now £35
The Crock Pot has truly earned its place in the hall of fame of slow cookers. This one has a hinged lid which prevents sauces and condensation from dripping and making a mess in your kitchen. Dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. View Deal
Morphy Richards Evoke Sear & Stew 461016 Slow Cooker at Currys | Was £70, now £40
This classy, beautifully made slow cooker features the very useful sear function, which allows you achieve that crispy skin on your meat or fish without having to use a separate pot. View Deal
Healthy slow cooker recipe for Teriyaki chicken
For this healthy, Japanese-inspired recipe for two, you will need:
- Boneless chicken thighs, 450 grams. We don't recommend using chicken breast for this recipe, as the slow cooking benefits thighs much more, with their higher fat content;
- Honey, 100 ml;
- Soy sauce, 100 ml;
- Garlic, two cloves, finely chopped;
- Ginger, a thumb-sized piece, finely chopped;
- Sesame seed, 10 grams;
- A medium-hot red chilli, chopped;
- Spring onion to garnish, 50 grams;
- White jasmine rice, steamed, 125 grams per person;
- Broccoli, steamed, 250 grams
The simplicity of this recipe is rivalled only by the satisfying, perfectly balanced flavour. Because you're using honey and soy sauce, there's no need to add any extra salt or sugar.
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, chilli, and sesame. Mix together well.
2. Put your chicken thighs into the slow cooker and pour over the sauce. Cook on high for three to four hours, or on low for four to five hours.
3. In the last 20 minutes, steam your rice and broccoli.
4. Plate up the rice and place the cooked chicken on top. You can chop it up or shred it, or simply serve the thighs as they are. Don't discard the remaining sauce, but drizzle it over the chicken. Garnish with chopped spring onion and serve with steamed broccoli on the side.
Tip: If your sauce is still very runny after the cooking is done, you can thicken it with a couple of tablespoons of plan flour in a pan on low heat. Simply mix in the flour vigorously until you achieve a uniform texture.
Find more gorgeous slow cooker recipes in our feature – starters, mains, and desserts sorted.