So, you like buying unique second-hand pieces for your home – but are you living the vintage life to the point of obsession? Do friends and family members tease you for always being on eBay and for spending too much time at car boot sales and flea markets? Or, do they despair at the thought of going with you to yet another muddy fair? Perhaps they are your partners in crime and equally love finding a vintage gem.
It’s time to find out how deep the obsession goes with these 10 signs you are obsessed with vintage. Once you’ve tallied up your total, see how you match up to your friends, and find out who has a healthy interest in old things, and who needs to check in to vintage rehab…
Find more gorgeous things to obsess over on our design hub page.
1. You only drink tea out of a vintage teacup and saucer
That Ikea mug just won't do. Actually, that rather pretty John Lewis cup and saucer won't do either. It has to be authentic, even if it's a tiny bit chipped.
2. You think any old item can be repurposed as a vase
Victorian medicine bottles, dairy maids' jugs, a cute 1950s mug... as long as it's old, it's pretty and it holds water, you're happy.
3. You pride yourself on finding the beauty in undesirable flea finds
No one else wanted that battered old chair, but you could see its inner beauty, just waiting to be brought out.
4. You were devastated after missing out on that vintage chair in need of reupholstering on eBay
It was a bargain, after all, and it could have been beautiful...
5. Your kitchen is stuffed full of vintage kitchenalia
Tupperware?! Pah! It's pretty tins and Kilner jars for you.
6. You own several old signs or crates
I’m sure I must have bought something from The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co to get this crate… No?
7. When you finally found that (please insert item...), you did a little victory dance
£15 for six? Oh yeah!
8. Your friends say your collections are ‘getting a little out of hand…’
One can never have too many vintage tins!
9. You won't buy upcycled because you want to do it yourself
It’s such a shame – that would have made a great upcycling project.
10. You have at least one vintage item whose purpose is a mystery
Hat shaper? Cobbler's tool? Er...
How many out of 10 did you score?
1-3: you're not even scratching the surface
4-6: well done, you've started a nice little collection
7-8: okay, maybe that's enough now
9-10: you're officially obsessed with vintage. Seek help