We love the traditional take, but this spiced scrambled eggs recipe is our latest favorite brunch. Just as easy to make as scrambled eggs without the spice, it requires just a few extra ingredients – turmeric, zesty coriander and red onion to make a few – and takes no time at all to make.
Serve it up with warm flatbreads – we have a flatbread recipe you can check out – or with crunchy toast. Don't judge us, but we think it would go well with rice and steamed vegetables for dinner, too... This recipe will serve two to four (depending how hungry you are).
Spiced scrambled eggs
- 400g frozen spinach, defrosted and well drained
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 30g butter
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 40g low-fat Greek-style yogurt
- 4 flatbreads, warmed, to serve
- 15g fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges to serve
1. Place a frying pan over a medium heat. When the pan is hot add the spinach and a pinch of salt. Cook until any excess water has been cooked off (this should only take a few minutes) and the spinach is heated.
2. Stir in the garlic, half the butter and some black pepper. Cook for a further two to three minutes until the garlic is fragrant and soft. Cover and keep warm.
3. Melt the rest of the butter in a separate pan on a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for five minutes, until softened. Add in the spices and cook for one more minute until it is fragrant.
4. Add the eggs and stir well until all the ingredients are combined, then scramble to taste. Stir in the yogurt (this makes the eggs creamier and stops them from overcooking).
5. Pile the spinach and eggs on top of the warmed breads, and scatter with the coriander and serve with lime wedges.