Dalgona coffee – also known as ‘whipped coffee’ – is the beautiful looking drink that was born through beloved Tik-Tok. And it was trending for a reason - it’s delicious. Delicious as in, you’re drinking the best frappé of your life, while you’re on holiday kinda delicious.
Made using just four staple ingredients – instant coffee, sugar, water, milk – this refreshing coffee drink (that you can also enjoy warm) is the perfect wake up call on a busy day (WFH or not) and one of the easiest recipes to try out at home.
We have the recipe for you below and if you're looking for more easy ways of making delicious coffee part of your everyday, be sure to check out our guide to the best coffee machines.
Where did Dalgona whipped coffee come from?
The Dalgona/whipped coffee drink trend started in South Korea and is actually named after a type of Korean sweet. It was inspired by those in confinement, and they created something great by simply using what they had available. Resourceful.
What does Dalgona whipped coffee taste like?
It's very sweet, and satisfying. Those are the words of our trusty Real Homes Dalgona coffee tasters.
What you will need:
To create the whipped coffee of dreams you could do with an electric hand whisk or a milk frother. It is possible by hand with a whisk or by shaking a mason jar, but this method takes 10 minutes rather than 5, and is a tad tiring.
Dalgona/whipped coffee ingredients:
This will make enough for two generous portions, simply divide/multiply the amounts as needed:
- 3 tbsp instant coffee/espresso (Douwe Egberts, Nescafe and the like)
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 3 tbsp sugar (swap for demerera sugar or maple syrup if preferred)
- 3/4 cup milk each to serve (swap for a plant-based alternative if preferred)
How to make Dalgona whipped coffee
- Combine the coffee, sugar and water in a mixing bowl or mason jar if using
- Whisk using a handheld electric mixer, milk frother, hand whisk or by closing your mason jar and shaking vigorously until it starts to thicken (bonus at home arm workout). Note that with help of a machine this should take 2-5 minutes, by hand you're looking at 10 minutes of cardio.
- The mixture will begin to lighten in colour as it forms a cloud-like texture, at this point, it's ready.
- To enjoy your whipped coffee hot, warm the milk you're using and top with the foam.
- For a cold whipped coffee experience, add ice cubes to your milk before topping with the whipped coffee.
- Enjoy your creation.
Whipped coffee variations:
- A sprinkling of cacao can make this one very cool cappuccino (hot/cold)
- Sub the sugar for a natural sweetener of choice or maple syrup as mentioned above, you can also take out some of the sugar if you prefer a less sweet taste.
- Make it more decadent by swapping milk for cream or condensed milk
- Bring those antioxidants in by sprinkling a little Matcha powder on top or by combining some into the whipped coffee mixture itself.