If you know how to cook baked chicken wings, you also know how to serve up a crowd-pleasing snack at any event, whether you're hosting a party or just looking for a big ol' treat for mid week. This juicy little number is darn easy to make and easy to adapt to your own tastes. Sure, they are messy, but oh so good for nibbling – and very affordable, so great for when you are catering for lots of people.
We start with a basic method for baking chicken wings. Then, we have a few serving suggestions to try – from hot wings, to sticky teriyaki-style you are sure to find a few options for the whole family... if you are willing to share...
Find out how to make chicken wings below, then head to our food hub for more recipe ideas.
How to make baked chicken wings
Roasting is the healthiest way to cook your chicken wings as you can limit the amount of fat your add. It is also fairly hands off and means you can whack a load in the oven while you prep other dishes or do something else. Here is our basic method for lightly seasoned chicken wings. In the flavor and serving suggestions below, we share some marinade ideas which you can add before cooking.
This recipe serves 6 hungry people
- 5lbs chicken wings
- Salt and pepper
- 2–3tbsp canola oil/spray oil
1. Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C/gas mark 5
2. Trim the tips from the wings as they burn easily and pull off any feather remnants.
3. Put the wings in a large bowl with two tablespoons of oil and mix until lightly coated. Add the third tablespoon if you need it. If using spray oil, spray until well coated.
4. Season with salt and pepper and mix again (if you like dry wings with flavor, you can add other seasonings of choice now, such as paprika, dried herbs or rubs).
5. Take two large roasting tins and line with foil if you are using a marinade as this will make clean up easier. Put wire rack grills in each tray as this will help the chicken cook more evenly.
6. Place the chicken on the racks, taking care not to overcrowd, and bake for 45 minutes, until the skin is crispy and the chicken cooked through.
7. If serving with buffalo sauce, BBQ or any other glaze, spoon this on as soon as you get the wings out of the oven before serving.
Chicken wing serving ideas
- Smother with homemade buffalo sauce (hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, white vinegar and butter) or shop-bought. Do this after cooking.
- Mix your favourite BBQ sauce with a bit of water and brush over the wings before oven cooking. If frying, cover the wings with sauce after cooking.
- Make a teriyaki marinade using soy, ginger, garlic and honey/maple syrup. Leave the wings to marinate for as long as possible (you can put them in it the night before in the fridge) then cook in the oven.
- Serve with a big side of sour cream and chive.
- Make aioli (garlic mayo) to dip your wings in
- Cover in jerk marinade before roasting.