There's no lazy weekend meal quite like roast pork belly. Rich, nourishing, and immense in flavour, there's a reason this has become a classic on roast dinner menus everywhere! Pork is a meat that actually benefits from slow cooking, so prepare to dedicate a whole morning or afternoon to cooking this wonderful cut of meat. It's going to be worth it!
Quality really matters with pork belly, so we do recommend getting free range and/or organic pork for this recipe.
For more great recipes, head to our food hub page.
Pork belly recipe
For this delectable roast that serves four people, you'll need:
- Pork belly cut, 1 kg
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped
- 1 large celery stick, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- Pork seasoning of your choice
- Salt, to taste
- Olive oil, around four tablespoons
- White wine, half a bottle
1. Line the bottom of a non-stick, deep oven dish with the vegetables, drizzle with a bit of oil, sprinkle with salt. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas mark 6.
2. Score the pork belly skin with a kitchen knife, making several small, shallow incisions.
3. Rub the pork with the seasoning, salt and oil, making sure it's all evenly covered.
4. Place the pork on top of the vegetables. Put on the middle oven shelf for about 15 minutes – you should see the skin start to go golden and crisp.
6. Reduce the temperature to 170°C/gas mark 3. Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours (depending on the weight – check the label).
7. Pour in the wine and cook for about another hour, depending on your oven. The wine should reduce, and the pork should fall apart easily when prodded with a fork.
Serve with the roast vegetables, salad, and apple sauce/gravy. Enjoy.
Pork belly with BBQ sauce recipe
Use our recipe above to get your pork pre-cooked, then follow the instructions below to marry it with the BBQ sauce. Or, buy a pre-cooked pork belly to cook up, ready for the sauce.
We'd recommend that you serve with a salad for a tasty alternative to BBQ food, or in a sandwich if you're after a seriously indulgent lunch idea. Either way, this recipe combines super succulent pork belly with a tangy BBQ sauce for the ultimate taste sensation.
- Pork Belly Slices (marinated or unmarinated), 800 grams
- Apple Cider, 200 millilitres
- Dark Soy Sauce, 50 millilitres
- Lemon juice, 30 millilitres
- Demerara sugar, 35 grams
- English mustard, 15 grams
- Five cloves of garlic
- Tomato puree, 55 grams
- Ground ginger, a teaspoon
- Black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C°/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
2. Put the pork belly slices in a large roasting tin, season with some black pepper cook for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
3. Meanwhile finely chop the garlic and put into a saucepan with the cider, mustard, ginger, lemon juice, tomato puree, brown sugar and soy sauce slowly bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
4. Pour this over the pork and continue to cook for another 30 minutes.
- Special thanks to Aldi for sharing this recipe with us