Trialling meat-free meals? This delectable veggie pasta bake with blue cheese and spinach really delivers on flavour and will take you no more than half an hour to make. This recipe includes cauliflower to make the meal more substantial, but there are all kinds of other vegetables that will go well with this dish, including broccoli, asparagus, and courgettes.
For more easy and delicious recipes, visit our hub page.
Blue cheese and spinach pasta bake recipe
For this easy dinner idea for two, you will need:
- Dried orecchiette, penne, or other pasta the absorbs sauces well, 300 grams
- Cauliflower, a good-sized head
- Blue cheese such as gorgonzola, 100 grams, plus a bit extra to crumble on top
- Fresh spinach, 150 grams
- Grated parmesan, 25 grams
- Single cream, 150 ml
- Flour, two tablespoons
- Butter, a small wedge
1. Begin by cooking the pasta in a pan of boiling water. Take care not to overcook it. Preheat your oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan oven/gas mark 6.
2. In a separate pan, make a roux for your cheese sauce. Met the butter and add the flour, stir until a paste is formed. Pour in the cream and warm it up gently, taking care not to boil it. When the cream is hot but not boiling, add the blue cheese. Stir well until it melts into the cream. Take off the heat.
3. Meanwhile, steam or boil the cauliflower until tender. Drain and separate into small pieces, discarding the core.
4. Drain the pasta and transfer into an oven dish. Tuck in the cauliflower and the spinach in between the pasta; pour over the cheese sauce.
5. Sprinkle a little extra blue cheese and grated parmesan on top. Place on the middle oven shelf and bake for 25 to 30 mins. The spinach should wilt and the parmesan on top should start going golden.