Want to know how to make the perfect porridge? For some of us, porridge is the go-to breakfast for cold mornings. For others, it's a reminder of childhood breakfasts that were, shall we say, not our top choice. The truth is, though, that breakfast is one of the healthiest breakfast options out there, and it's really easy to make more interesting with fresh fruit and cream/plant milk of your choice. Here's how to make the best porridge ever.
For more healthy recipes, see our hub page.
How to make porridge
You will need:
- Porridge oats, 50 grams
- Milk/water/plant-based milk of your choice, 300 ml, and about 50ml extra to serve;
- Fresh fruit/jam/honey, to taste
1. Place the oats in a non-stick pan; we prefer milk pans, because it's easier to pour out the porridge into a bowl afterwards.
2. Cover with the milk or water and bring to the boil. You have to watch your porridge – as soon as it's come to a boil, start stirring with a wooden spoon so it doesn't stick. Reduce heat and continue stirring until the porridge is thick but not stodgy. It should still be pourable, just not too runny. The whole process should take about five minutes.
3. Pour into a bowl and pour over the extra milk. For a richer taste, you can also top up with yoghurt or cream. Top with the fruit, jam or honey. Eat immediately.
Our top tip: try making yours with coconut milk for a deliciously fruity, vegan take on the breakfast classic.