Want to know how to make oat milk? As far as non-dairy milk alternatives go, oat milk is without doubt one of the most popular options. Shop-bought solutions are relatively affordable – particularly own brand options – and, according to research, have the least harmful impact on the earth. But, did you know you can also make oat milk at home? Well you do now, and it's easier than you might think.
To get started, all you'll need are oats and water. From there, you can add a little maple syrup and cinnamon for taste, and you're away. Follow our instructions to Discover how to make oat milk.
For more recipe ideas and inspiration, head over to our food hub.
How to make oat milk
- Oats, 100 grams
- Water, 400 grams
- Maple syrup, 1 tablespoon
- Optional: cocoa powder for tasty chocolate milk
1. Soak your oats in water for up to 30 minutes, draining and rinsing once the time is up.
2. Add you oats, along with water, cinnamon and maple syrup to a blender and blend until smooth. Note that you don't want to over-blend your oats, as this could cause them to become slimy.
3. Strain your milk into a clean bowl using a strainer, nut milk bag, or even a clean piece of cloth.
4. Store in an airtight container, or glass bottle, for up to five days.