Ahhh, bacon, the perfect brunch side to eggs. Whether you've got everyone over for an indulgent breakfast, are suffering from a hangover, or just craving the perfect butty, there's no doubt that you'll be reaching for the bacon. Fried, grilled, cooked in the oven or shoved in the microwave, you can't go wrong.
However, when it comes to cooking bacon, not going wrong isn't good enough for us... we want to get it absolutely right. So, keep on reading to discover the tricks of the trade when it comes to getting that perfectly salty, crispy, juicy breakfast essential exactly right.
PS. Jamie Oliver is pretty firm on the fact that there's only one type of bacon and that's smoked... 'If it ain't smoked, get out of here!'
- For all our recipes, go to our food hub page
How to make crispy bacon
The best way to get a lovely, crispy bacon with maximum flavour, let your bacon rest outside of the fridge for at least a few minutes. This way the fat will lose its chill.
How to grill bacon
1. Preheat the oven on high.
2. Drizzle a glug of olive oil on a baking tray.
3. Place your bacon rashers on the tray, patting a bit of the oil from the tray on the top.
4. Grill for 12 minutes.
How to fry bacon
1. Put the bacon in a cold, non-stick pan.
2. Now, put the heat on low so the fat melts before it colours.
3. Up the heat and let it become crisp
4. Press it down with a weight to ensure that the parts that are curling up are cooked and crisp.
How to cook bacon in the oven
1. Preheat your oven to 200ºC.
2. Line a baking tray with tin foil and place a cooking rack on top.
3. Place your bacon rashers on the tray, being careful not to overlap any.
4. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes.
How to microwave bacon
This method is surprisingly effective and is a great option if you're low on resources and want a quick, easy bacon fix. What's more, it's an excellent method if you're someone who likes your bacon super crispy.
1. Get your microwave safe dish and add four sheets of kitchen roll (to soak up any excess fat).
2. Now place four rashers of bacon on the top. You may want to cut these in half.
3. Place two more sheets of kitchen roll on top to prevent spitting.
4. Microwave for a minute per rasher (four minutes) and then you're set to go!