Amongst many, many other things we miss during lockdown, going out for a fab brunch has got to be up there. Silky scrambled eggs, tomatoes, spinach, on gorgeous sourdough toast and potentially even a mimosa? We lived for that in pre-quarantine times. BUT, you know we all have kitchens, we can all follow a recipe, so we say let's recreate that dreamy brunch at home!
Here we show you how to make the scrambled eggs, tomatoes and spinach all piled on sourdough toast that you crave, so get out a pan and refill your mimosa.
- Find more fab egg recipes in one place
Healthy scrambled eggs
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1tbsp oil (whatever you have got in the cupboard will do)
- 2tsp dried oregano
- Pinch of sea salt and cracked pepper
- 100g fresh spinach
- 4 slices of sourdough bread (or again, any bread you have)
- 80g butter
- 8 eggs
- 2tsp chives, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt and pepper
1. For the oven dried tomatoes: pre-heat the oven to 140ºC/120ºC fan/gas mark 1. Slice each tomato into four slices, place on a lined baking tray and drizzle over the oil. Sprinkle over the oregano, salt and pepper. Place in the oven and bake for around 30 minutes. Remove from the oven gently turn the slices over and put back in the oven for another 30 minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
2. For the spinach: place a pan over a medium heat add three tablespoons of water, bring to a boil then add the spinach, cover the pan and boil for around 30 seconds, remove from the heat, tip the spinach into a colander to drain.
3. Toast the sourdough bread!
4. For the eggs: crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk them gently with a fork. Place a large pan over a medium heat, add the butter and when melted and gently sizzling tip in the eggs, stir gently and then cook for a couple of minutes or until the eggs are setting. Remove the pan from the heat, stir and put back on the heat. Keep doing this until the eggs are scrambled to your liking. Season at this point with the salt and pepper.
5. Plate up! Place the sourdough toast on your plate, divide the spinach between the toast, laying it on, divide the scrambled egg between the plates placing on top of the spinach. Layer four slices of tomato per plate, on the top of the scrambled eggs, sprinkle over the chives and serve immediately.