Baked salmon is a delicious and highly nutritious meat-free meal that's quick and easy to cook, and makes for a great alternative to the classic roast. It goes beautifully with roast potatoes and salad or green beans. The trick for making the most of salmon is in the marinating stage before roasting. You can, of course, simply season your salmon and drizzle it with oil immediately before cooking, but it may come out a little bland.
For more delicious recipes and food advice, visit our hub page.
Baked salmon recipe
For this delicious and flavoursome one-dish baked salmon recipe for four, you will need:
- Salmon fillet, 600 grams
- Potatoes, 500 grams
- Olive oil, four tablespoons for marinating, plus extra for drizzling over the vegetables
- Light soy sauce, a couple of teaspoons
- The juice of a lemon
- Fresh dill, 25 grams, finely chopped
- Garlic, one clove, peeled and finely chopped
- Asparagus or broccoli, 300 grams
- Fine green beans, 300 grams
1. In a large mixing bowl combine the olive oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic and dill. Soak the salmon in the mixture for at least half an hour in the fridge. You may find it easier to chop the fillet into individual portions.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180ºC/gas mark 6. Pre-boil the potatoes while the salmon is marinating. Prepare the asparagus (or other green veg) by trimming off the harder parts of the stalks, leaving the tender tips.
3. Line the baking dish with the potatoes. Remove the salmon from the fridge and drizzle any remaining marinating mixture over the potatoes. Roast them for about 20 minutes.
4. Now add the fish to the oven. Roast for another 25 minutes to half an hour. As a guideline, the thicker your salmon is, the longer it'll need (think around 10 minutes for every inch of thickness). Having said that, salmon can be served a little pink in the middle, just like beef.
5. If using, add the asparagus for the final 10 to 15 minutes of the roasting. Drizzle it with olive oil prior to roasting.
6. Boil or steam your other greens, such as green beans, while the asparagus is roasting. They should take just under 10 minutes.