Looking for a fun and interactive Halloween activity to do with the littles this weekend? Whether you’re planning on dressing up and going trick-or-treating or you’ve opted to forego the activity this year in favor of an at-home celebrating, it's not too late to make spooky, sweet and oh-so-simple Halloween cookies to add an extra dose of creativity to your weekend plans while getting the kids involved in the kitchen.
To help get you started, we’ve included one of our favorite Halloween cookie recipes from The Everything Kids’ Cookbook, Updated Edition by Sandra K. Nissenberg. This cheeky Halloween Spider Bite cookie recipe puts a spin on a store-bought style, is super easy to assemble, and the kids will love helping you make them almost as much as they’ll love eating them!
Halloween Spider Bites Recipe
You can use gummy spiders, gummy bats, gummy worms, or any other critters you
choose on your webs.
Makes 8 cookies
- 8 flat chocolate wafer cookies
- 1 (0.67-ounce) tube white decorating gel
- 8 gummy candy spiders
- Place the cookies on a large flat plate.
- Using the decorating gel, draw three circles on each cookie, one large one around the outside rim, a smaller one on the inside, and an even smaller one in the middle.
- Using a toothpick, start at the inside middle of a cookie and run the toothpick all the way to the outside edge. Do this about four times around the cookie. This will create a “web.” Repeat with the remaining cookies.
- Place a gummy spider on top of each cookie.
Per serving (two cookies):
Calories: 117 | Fat: 2.5g | Sodium: 107mg | Carbohydrates: 22g | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 10g | Protein: 1g
Make your own spiders:
You can make your own gummy spiders from gumdrops and thin licorice strings. Cut the licorice strings into eight small strips (legs) and insert them into the gumdrop.
Excerpted from The Everything Kids’ Cookbook, Updated Edition by Sandra K. Nissenberg. Copyright © 2002, 2008, 2020 by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Photographs by Kelly Jaggers. Used with permission of the publisher, Adams Media, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. All rights reserved.