There’s no sugar added to this baked apple recipe: it relies on the natural sweetness of the apples and dried fruit, but we promise you’ll love the taste. If you want a treat, though, use a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of the warm apples.
You will need:
- 4 apples
- Dried fruit and nuts to taste, for example dried cranberries, raisins, walnuts and pecans
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- A small knob of butter for each apple
1. In a bowl, mix together dried fruit and nuts, and stir in the cinnamon.
2. Slice the top off each of the apples, and set aside. Scoop out the core – a melon baller is ideal here.
3. Stuff mixture into the apples, pop a small knob of butter on top of the mixture and put the top back on each.
4. Place the stuffed apples in the slow cooker. If you're cooking in the oven, preheat it to 200ºC/180ºC fan/gas mark 6.
5. Cook in the slow cooker on high for about two hours, or low for around five hours, until the apples are tender. Cook in the oven for around 20 minutes, or until the apples are soft.
Find more great slow cooker recipes in our roundup.